Cheryl DeConde Johnson, Ed.D..
PO Box 918
Leadville, CO 80631
Principal, The ADVantage [Audiology - Deaf Education Vantage]
The ADVantage is a consulting service focusing on audiology and deaf education services in education settings. Through Dr Johnson’s consulting business she:
- Provides technical assistance and consulting services to agencies, school districts, state departments of education, and professional organizations regarding program development and evaluation, restructuring of systems, and accountability for services and student outcomes relative to children and youth who are deaf and hard of hearing
- Develops and conducts research in relevant areas for children with auditory impairments
- Provides support and advocacy to families, school districts, and agencies to resolve specific assessment, services and placement issues involving child and youth who are deaf and hard of hearing.
Adjunct faculty appointments:
Department of Otolaryngology, School of Medicine, University of Colorado
Health Sciences Center, Marion Downs Hearing Center
University of Colorado, Speech, Language, & Hearing Sciences
University of Northern Colorado, Audiology, Speech, & Language Sciences
University of Arizona, College of Education, Disability and Psychoeducational Studies
Central Michigan University/Vanderbilt University Au.D. Consortium and Distance Learning Program
B.A., Speech and Hearing Sciences, University of California, Santa Barbara (1975)
M.A., Audiology, University of Northern Colorado, Greeley (1976)
Ed.D., Special Education Administration: Audiology and Deaf Education Programs, University of Northern Colorado, Greeley (1982)
Background and Experience
Colorado Department of Education
- Supervisor (2005-06), Exceptional Student Services Unit, supervising all special education monitoring activities, the state performance plan for the U.S. Department of Education - OSEP, and services to students with low-incidence disabilities; retired 7/31/06;
- Senior Consultant (1998-2005 ), Exceptional Student Services Unit, providing leadership and technical assistance for all aspects of Deaf education, educational interpreting, and educational audiology;
- Contracted audiology consultant (1990-1998), Exceptional Student Services, providing monitoring, support, and technical assistance to school districts in Colorado relative to audiology and hearing related services; provided leadership for educational audiologists employed by school districts and development of policy & guidelines for the provision of audiological services in the public schools.
Greeley Public Schools, Greeley, Colorado
- Educational audiologist (1976-1998, half-time 1990-1998) providing a full range of audiological and hearing-related services to children birth-21;
- Program coordinator and supervisor for Deaf/Hard of Hearing Program (1983-87).
Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment, Denver, CO
- Parent Facilitator, Colorado Home Intervention Program (1980-1992), providing support and guidance to families of children with hearing impairments birth-2 years;
- CO-HEAR Regional Coordinator (1990-2001);
- Audiology Regional Coordinator.
Hands & Voices
Co-Founder, Hands and Voices, Colorado Chapter
Co-Founder, Hands and Voices
Awards and Honors
- 2006 University of Northern Colorado Alumni Association Trailblazer Award
- 2006 Phonak Cheryl DeConde Johnson Award for Excellence in Educational Audiology
- 2005 Lifetime Achievement Award of the Colorado Academy of Audiology
- 2003 Peak Performance Award, Colorado Academy of Audiology
- 2001 Frederick Berg Award for advancement of audiology services in the schools, Educational Audiology Association
- 2000 Families First Award, Colorado Families for Hands & Voices
- 2000 Professional Achievement Award for development of the educational audiology services model, the American Academy of Audiology
- 1993 ASHA Rolland J. VanHattum Award for outstanding service by a speech-language pathologist or audiologist in the schools.
- 1992 Colorado Speech-Language-Hearing Association Clinical Achievement Award (DiCarlo nominee to ASHA)
- 1990 Colorado Speech-Language-Hearing Association Public School Program of the Year
<< Speakers Roster
<< Cheryl's Publications