What are best practices as we understand them today in the world of newborn hearing screening, identification, diagnostics and early intervention?
Explore the latest research findings to discover information on important topics for the family journey on raising a child who is deaf or hard of hearing. The research articles and summaries were put together by the Language and Literacy Advisory Board using a consistent format answering the following guiding questions:
- The article reference
- What was studied, how was it studied, and results?
- How is this information useful to you and your child?
- Who was studied?
- What still remains to be answered?
- Where can I get more information about this?
Informed parents are in a stronger position to make good decisions for their child. The links below provide information you may want to consider prior to reviewing research or summaries of research.
Note: If you have a research article summary that is not listed, or you wish to know if there is research on a certain topic area, please email us at FL3@handsandvoices.org We will share this information with the Language, Literacy, and Social Development Advisory Committee. We are also open to feedback if this information was helpful to you.
Keywords: Parent-Child Interaction Therapy, Behavior Intervention, Spoken Language Intervention, Hearing Loss
- The utility of early developmental assessments on understanding later nonverbal IQ in children who are deaf or hard of hearing
KEYWORDS: Cognitive Development, Assessment, Evaluation
- Influence of implantation age on school-age language performance in pediatric cochlear implant users
KEYWORDS: Cochlear Implants, Age of implantation, Language
- Epilogue: Conclusions and implications for research and practice
KEYWORDS: Language Interactions, Early Identification, Hearing Aid Use
- Consonant Production Accuracy in Young Cochlear Implant Recipients: Developmental Sound Classes and Word Position Effects
KEYWORDS: Cochlear Implant, Consonant Sounds, Articulation
- Vocabulary knowledge of children with cochlear implants: A meta-analysis
KEYWORDS: Vocabulary, Cochlear Implants
- Spoken language development in children following cochlear implantation
KEYWORDS: Cochlear Implants, Spoken Language, Early Implantation
- Exploring cascading effects of multimodal communication skills in infants with hearing loss
KEYWORDS: Mother-Child Interactions, Gestures, Communication
- Symbol-infused joint attention and language use in mothers with deaf and hearing toddlers
KEYWORDS: Joint Attention
- A comparison of the links between emotional availability and language gain in young children with and without hearing loss
KEYWORDS: Emotional Availability, Vocabulary, Maternal Characteristics
- The relation of sensitivity to child expressive language gain in deaf and hard-of-hearing children whose caregivers are hearing
KEYWORDS: Bonding, Emotional Availability, Expressive Language
- Tricks, lies and mistakes: identifying Theory of Mind concepts within storybooks shared with deaf children
KEYWORDS: Theory of Mind, Shared Book Reading, Cognitive Development, Social Emotional Development
- Linguistic input, electronic media, and communication outcomes of toddlers with hearing loss
KEYWORDS: Auditory Environment, Media, LENA
- The deaf mentor experimental project for young children who are deaf and their familiesKEYWORDS: Deaf Mentor, Bi-Bi home Intervention, Language
- Characteristics of hearing aid fittings in infants and young children
KEYWORDS: Audibility, Hearing Aids, Speech Intelligibility Index
Deaf Parents of Cochlear-Implanted Children: Beliefs on Bimodal Bilingualism
KEYWORDS: Language, Cochlear Implants, Bimodal Bilinguilism
Other Research Resources
Journal of Early Hearing Detection and Intervention – JEHDI is a semi-annual scholarly peer-reviewed online publication dedicated to advancing Early Hearing Detection and Intervention by publishing articles that describe current research, evidence - based practice, and standards of care. https://digitalcommons.usu.edu/jehdi/all_issues.html
Gallaudet University Visual Language and Visual Learning (VL2) Research Briefs: http://vl2.gallaudet.edu/research/research-briefs/
Marion Downs Center Research section for Parents with children who are Deaf/Hard of Hearing: http://mdcresearch.net/index.php/for-parents/