Kathy Allen's Communication Strategies:
Replace non-specific strategies, such as "Excuse me, what did you say?" "Pardon?" and "Huh?" with specific strategies:
- Please repeat that more slowly.
- What is the topic we are discussing?
Experiment with new strategies:
- Can you say that another way?
- Can you write down that word?
- Can you spell that slowly?
- I heard you say "--------", but I did not understand the rest.
- Does that begin with "b" as in baseball?
Manage your environment by saying:
- Let's move away from the music.
- I'll need to switch seats so the window is behind me.
- I need the lights turned up more.
- I need the sound turned up more.
- I need to move closer to the speaker.
Explain your needs:
- I can understand/hear you/ lipread better if you.
- I do much better if you speak slower.
- It is difficult for me to lipread/speechread when your hand covers your mouth.