What is EHDI-PALS?
The Early Hearing Detection and Intervention–Pediatric Audiology Links to Services (EHDI-PALS) Directory is a web-based system to help parents, hospital personnel, and physicians find pediatric audiology facilities that will meet an individual child’s needs. The EHDI-PALS Directory will include facilities that employ licensed audiologists and have the appropriate equipment to serve children less than five years of age.
- Standardized survey for audiology facilities to self-report evaluation procedures, hearing aid and cochlear implant services, referral procedures, accessibility, payment options and pediatric caseload
- The survey reflects current best practice in pediatric audiology
- Facility profiles that users can look up using a search engine
- An on line “Smart Tool” designed for consumers to identify audiology facilities with the capacity to meet the audiological needs of a child
- State EHDI Coordinators, or designated directory administrator, may review and manage the facility information gathered for their state
- Standardized survey, designed according to best practice standards, collects detailed information from pediatric audiology facilities regarding their websites and services.
- Facility “profiles” are generated by the EHDI-PALS algorithm. Only services that meet current standard of care are included.
- Map of facilities with needed services is generated based on information provided by parents.
- Automatic update reminders are sent to facilities annually—keeping the EHDI-PALS Directory current! Facilities that fail to renew are dropped.
- Valuable parent education resources and links are provided.
- Helpful tools for state EHDI programs will be developed in 2013.
Where are we now?
- Facilities have been registering since November. As of 1-4-2013, we have 466 facilities registered permanently in EHDI-PALS
- Working to increase the number of facilities registered. Urge any audiologists you know who provide services for children to fill out the survey and get registered at http://www.ehdipals.org
- Parent Resource page has been updated with many Questions/Answers that will help Parents get an idea of the kinds of things to ask.
- “Go live” is planned during 2013 EHDI Meeting in Arizona. Come and see our presentation scheduled for 16 April 9:40-10:10, Cascade F
The EHDI PALS Advisory Group is composed of consumers/parents and pediatric audiologists, as well as representatives from:
- American Academy of Audiology (AAA)
- American Speech-Language-Hearing Association (ASHA)
- Directors of Speech and Hearing Programs in State Health and Welfare Agencies (DSHPSHWA)
- Hands & Voices (H&V)
- Joint Committee on Infant Hearing (JCIH)
- National Center for Hearing Assessment and Management (NCHAM)
- Center for Research and Evaluation, University of Maine
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)
- Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA)/Maternal Child Health Bureau (MCHB)
- Early Childhood Technical Assistance Center (ECTA)
For more information or questions, please contact Vicki Hunting at firstname.lastname@example.org or Winnie Chung at email@example.com.